Hint Mind you, advice on iPad below are iPhone / iPod touch applicable.
Symptoms: Being awoken iPad / iPad 2 / iPad 3 / iPad 4 or even the newest Retina iPad mini / iPad Air shows Home screen with one or more grey icons. This is an indication of waiting state for relevant app/s. Turning OFF - ON tablet or hard reset does not resolve the problem and waiting icons persist. To fix this:
- Install on you computer any program that allows to browse files on Apple tablet These may be iExplorer (formerly iPhone Explorer) or iTools or any other one you are aware of. Note that application of either iTools or iExplorer doesn’t require to jailbreak your device.
- Connect iPad to computer and launch say iTools. We recommend this one as it much more stable than iExplorer. it. Note that this will not harm your device.iOS will recreate this file after restart).
- Locate the "FileSystem/Downloads" folder (or the “…/Media/Downloads” folder if u use iExplorer) and delete all folders (if any) and downloads.28.sqlitedb file from it. Note that this will not harm your device.iOS will recreate this file after restart).
- Disconnect iPad from computer and turn it off.
- After 30 sec turn tablet ON.