By default rotation of iPad Air, iPad mini and iPad of all older gens (that is iPad 2 / iPad 3 / iPad4 ) will automatically trigger either landscape or portrait mode for screen. However if this function is disabled everything is not going on as it was wont: the tablet's screen is not rotating. At same time you may have a need to lock deliberately the rotation mode on your iPad. Here are some advises on how to have full control on this stuff:
First, be aware of two functions relavant to iPad's physical hardware switch located on the upper-right edge of the device: the first function is to lock / unlock screen rotation and the second one is to mute / unmute its speaker
We recommend to use this side switch to lock / unlock rotation because choosing Mute / Unmute will disable audio alerts and notifications that can provide iOS apps. To choose Lock / Unlock rotation mode do the followings:
- Locate “Settings” icon on the screen of your Apple tablet and tap it.
- In the opened window tap “General” located on the half-left of the screen, this will toggle the half –right of it where you can find “Use Side Switch to” options.
- Tap Lock Rotation.
- Return to Home screen by pressing Home button which is the physical hardware button located at the bottom middle part of the device ( or by using five-finger gesture, which is preferable way).
Now look on the position of the physical switch at upper-right edge of the device. When this switch is set to Lock mode — the down position, with an orange dot visible on the switch — the screen will not rotate with device rotation. The visible indication of it is a small Screen Rotation Lock icon in the status bar just near the battery charge icon. When this switch is set to UnLock mode — the up position, small Screen Rotation Lock icon in the status bar will disappear and iPad will respond to rotation.
If for any reason you decide to choose Mute / Unmute as a main function for physical switch located on the upper-right edge of iPad , then to lock / unlock rotation on devices running iOS < 7.0 (sure not a case of iPad Air or iPad mini Retina) do the following:
- Double-press the Home physical button located at the bottom middle part of the device. This will bring up the multitasking bar. It may be empty or with icons of recently used apps.
- In any case sweep this bar with your finger from left to right.
- Tap the Screen Rotation Lock icon on the bottom left of the screen. This will trigger the lock of iPad rotation. The icon will be padlocked and relevant icon will appear in the status bar on the Home screen.
- Tap Padlocked icon in the multitasking bar if you want to unlock rotation mode.
If you have followed the instructions on this page but iPad screen rotation is not working try a few more actions before applying for replacement / repairing.First shut down then, in 30 sec, turn ON Apple tablet and follow iPad Rotation Diagnostic FlowChart to pinpoint the problem.
Mind you, sometimes when the screen is not rotating, it is not iPad's fault but rather the trait / flaw of some specific app running on tablet. To check it, close that app with not rotating screen and try rotate the Home screen itself.
Finally, one more advice. If iPad battery level is critical the tablet will power off some of its components including gyroscope responsible for screen rotation. It results in rotation locking even after battery is fully charged. This state is indicated by the sign of rotation lock located at the upper-right corner of the screen just near the battery level mark. To get rotation back turn Off iPad, wait a few seconds and then turn it On. This procedure will restore the screen rotation capability. Fiddling with tablet may encourage you to unveil 50+ secrets that can help you maintain iPad